Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Please Call Me by My True Names

Seeing dependent arising is seeing the dharma nature;
seeing Dharma is seeing Buddha.
見緣起即見法
見法即見佛

Many teachings other than Buddhism
can also help us develop four immeasurable minds:
loving-kindness, compassion, sympathetic joy, and impartiality.
Nevertheless,
only those arising from present insight into the truth of emptiness,
that is, perceiving the nature of interbeing here and now,
are pure, steadfast, and indefatigable.
有很多其他的教導也能幫助開發人們的慈悲喜捨四無量心
不過只有現觀空性〈也就是能當下覺察萬物互即互入本質〉
而生起的慈悲心
才是真切穩固不斷的:)

Share with you this little poem,
at this moment that Thay is coming to Taiwan:
在老師來台灣的前夕,與大家分享這首小詩:

Please Call Me by My True Names / Thich Nhat Hahn
請以種種真實之名呼喚我 / 釋一行

Don't say that I will depart tomorrow --
別說明日我將離去,
even today I am still arriving.
因為今天我依舊前來。

Look deeply: every second I am arriving
請深入觀察我:我分分秒秒都前來,
to be a bud on a Spring branch,
作春天枝頭上的一朵蓓蕾,
to be a tiny bird, with still-fragile wings,
作一隻羽翼未豐的雛鳥,
learning to sing in my new nest,
在新巢中學習引吭高唱,
to be a caterpillar in the heart of a flower,
作花蕊中的一條毛毛蟲,
to be a jewel hiding itself in a stone.
作埋身岩壁的一顆寶石。

I still arrive, in order to laugh and to cry,
我依舊前來,為了要歡笑,為了要哭泣,
to fear and to hope.
為了要害怕,為了要期望。

The rhythm of my heart is the birth and death
of all that is alive.
我心臟的律動
就是一切眾生的生與死。

I am the mayfly metamorphosing
on the surface of the river.
我是河面上蛻變的蜉蝣,
And I am the bird
that swoops down to swallow the mayfly.
我也是在大地春回及時前來掠食蜉蝣的鳥。

I am the frog swimming happily
in the clear water of a pond.
我是悠游於清澈池塘的青蛙,
And I am the grass-snake
that silently feeds itself on the frog.
我也是悄悄前近吞食青蛙的草蛇。

I am the child in Uganda,
我是烏干達的小孩,
all skin and bones, my legs as thin as bamboo sticks.
全身只剩皮包骨,雙腿細如竹竿
And I am the arms merchant,
我也是軍火販子,
selling deadly weapons to Uganda.
出售致命武器給烏干達。

I am the twelve-year-old girl,
refugee on a small boat,
我是小船上那名十二歲的難民少女,
who throws herself into the ocean
after being raped by a sea pirate.
被一個海盜強暴後,跳海自盡;
And I am the pirate,
我也是那個海盜,
my heart not yet capable
of seeing and loving.
我的心還被矇蔽,無法愛人。

I am a member of the politburo,
with plenty of power in my hands.
我是最高決策當局的一員,大權在握;
And I am the man who has to pay
his "debt of blood" to my people
我也是必須償還人民「血債」的人,
dying slowly in a forced-labor camp.
在勞改營裡緩慢地死去。

My joy is like Spring, so warm
我的喜悅像春天- 如此溫暖,
it makes flowers bloom all over the Earth.
讓世間百花盛開;
My pain is like a river of tears,
我的痛苦如淚河-
so vast it fills the four oceans.
如此氾濫,讓四海滿溢。

Please call me by my true names,
請以種種真實之名呼喚我,
so I can hear all my cries and my laughter at once,
我才能同時聽見我所有的哭泣與歡笑,
so I can see that my joy and pain are one.
我才能看到我的喜悅與痛苦是一體。

Please call me by my true names,
請以種種真實之名呼喚我,
so I can wake up,
我才能覺醒,
and so the door of my heart
can be left open,
也才能讓我的心門敞開,
the door of compassion.
那正是慈悲之門。

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8/4/11 7:04 PM, Blogger Ifinder Ifindi said...

A scientifically philosophical profile with inspiring poetry. Thank you.

 
At 11/4/11 10:14 PM, Anonymous Steve said...

So glad to meet you here friend. I'm a friend of Nathan's. I'm also a buddhist. Nice to read your sharing and expect to read your updates on buddhism.

Best Wishes,

 
At 11/4/11 11:00 PM, Blogger Marvelous Pine said...

Happy to know you are delighted by Thay's poem:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home